- De-clutter, it is a good idea to organize and declutter all the things that tend to accumulate in a garage over the years. The less stuff that is in your garage, the bigger it will look.
- Clean: Garages can accumulate tons of dust and dirt, so cleaning can be a challenge, the DIY network offers great advice here.
- If you have items that you need to keep until you move you may want to add some extra storage, such as shelves, hooks, or cabinets to store them in to keep things looking neat and clutter free.
- Keep your garage safe, install a smoke detector, and keep all toxic items put out of reach of pets and children. This is a great thing to do not only when staging for selling your home, but always.
- Garage door: Test it to be sure the opener is still working, if it is looking a little worse for wear, give it a new coat of paint.
- Floor: If the floor is too stained you may want to consider epoxy, which can give a nice clean look to your garage.
- Walls: many people leave their garage walls unfinished, but to lend a wonderfully appealing look, you should finish the walls and paint them a nice light neutral color which can make your garage seem larger and airier.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
How to Prep Your Garage When Selling Your Home
Sometimes when people are staging their homes in preparation for open houses, or visits by potential buyers, they forget to spend time on the garage. Many people that are searching for homes, have a garage as a must on their lists of things that they desire for their new home to have. Needless to say, the better the garage looks, the better the overall impression the house will have on them.